U SPORTS ATHLETIC FINANCIAL AWARDS Q and A
What is an Athletic Financial Award (AFA)?
· Also referred to as an athletic scholarship, an athletic financial award is any award that is conditional to being on a U SPORTS team.
· An AFA can include, but is not limited to, scholarships, bursaries, prizes, leadership awards, merit awards, housing, and all other non-employment financial benefit received by an athlete from their institution.
Is there a limit to the value of an AFA that I can receive?
· tuition and compulsory fees is the maximum amount you can receive in an academic year, including athletic-related bursaries.
· the value and quantity of AFA's available varies from institution to institution.
· specific awards may have additional conditions, such as academic success and citizenship, beyond what is stated here.
· many awards, such as academic awards or awards provided by Sport Governing Bodies or the Federal and Provincial Governments, are not included within the tuition and compulsory fees maximum; please consult your Athletic Department.
Who provides athletic financial awards?
· all athletics financial awards provided to student-athletes must be administered through the providing university.
· to receive an athletic-related award that is not administered by your university, the award must not be conditional on attendance at any particular university, that is, you must be free to attend the university of your choice.
When can I receive an athletic financial award?
· you are eligible to receive an AFA at the beginning of your first year at a university (September) if you have a minimum entering average of 80% or equivalent.
· alternatively, where applicable (and excluding Ontario as per Ontario University Athletics policy), you are eligible to receive an AFA at the end of your first year at a university (spring or summer) if you satisfy U SPORTS academic requirements with at least a 65% average or equivalent.
· thereafter, you are eligible to receive an AFA at the beginning of any year if you satisfy U SPORTS academic requirements with at least a 65% average or equivalent in the preceding year (for Ontario universities, as per Ontario University Athletics policy, a 70% average is required).
StFX ATHLETIC FINANCIAL AWARDS
Each StFX varsity team has the ability to offer incoming and returning student-athletes athletic financial awards. The administration and value of these awards is at the discretion of each team’s head coach. Any questions on team-specific athletic financial awards should be directed to the appropriate StFX head coach.
StFX UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS and FINANCIAL AID
StFX offers over $2 million annually in merit-based scholarships and financial aid to its new and current undergraduates. Students with an average of 85% or higher are automatically guaranteed an entrance scholarship worth at least $5000 (based on Grade 12 December exams or first semester Grade 12 marks), renewable for four years. Students with an average of 90% receive $7000, and those with an average of 94% receive $12,000. For scholarships that require an application, most deadlines are March 1st, so don’t delay. Specific scholarship details are available at: http://www.stfx.ca/apply/scholarship/.
The StFX Financial Aid Office is available as a resource for students for information about student loan programs and to assist students who are experiencing difficulties with their applications. The office administers the University bursary program, and is a resource for information about external sources of scholarships, awards and bursaries, for undergraduate and graduate study. The office assists students with their personal financial planning and credit management skills. Also available through the Financial Aid Office are small emergency loans for students who have an immediate financial need that they cannot meet by other means. For a complete listing of StFX bursaries and external bursaries, visit http://sites.stfx.ca/financial_aid/.
The Department of Athletics understands the time demands that are placed on you, the student-athlete. Often, by virtue of your participation in a particular sport, you are unable to maintain modest employment to help defray the cost of attending university. We highly recommend that you seek out the experience and expertise of the individuals in the Financial Aid Office. Contact email@example.com or 902-867-2374 for more information.
Athletic Financial Awards
U SPORTS ATHLETIC FINANCIAL AWARDS Q and A